- A major career decision was to establish a small studio in a natural setting where we could focus on creating a limited number of carefully crafted projects. We began on the Mendonoma coast in 1971 and relocated to the Dry Creek Valley near Healdsburg in 1993.
- Our work is recognized as insightful, exemplary, and distinguished.
- Our work has a personal and humane spirit based on concern for the people who will occupy our buildings – resulting in places people love to use and experience.
- Our work distills complex requirements and relationships down to a few simple strong ideas and strives to synthesize these into simple, strong forms.
- Our work is aesthetically refreshing, technically accomplished, and has received over 40 design awards. In 2008 Obie was inducted into the College of Fellows in the American Institute of Architects.
- Our work is reverently respectful of Mother Nature – our proudest accomplishment is when we are able to create projects that resonate with their settings.
Helena and Obie have worked together since their marriage in 1971. Helena is indispensable to every aspect of the studio. Helena grew up in Santa Barbara, speaks fluent Polish, and received a Bachelor of Arts from the University of California, Santa Barbara (1969).